About Alberta Fredricksen
"One stop along my career path was serving as the personnel director in a state prison for men. At first blush, one might think what is a nice girl like me doing in a place like this? This employment experience was packed with amazing opportunities for learning about conflict. I was charged with negotiating with 9 separate unions, developing and implementing policies, investigating, facilitating and resolving multiple grievances per week (which diminished to 0 grievances within about 10 months) and supervising a 3-week pre-employment training program for all job classifications within the prison.
"This challenge required me to utilize all I had ever learned previously and then some. As an employer, a prison system never closes – 24/7, 365 days a year. There aren't substitutes for Correctional Officers, which means when employees take legitimate sick and vacation days, someone else picks up an additional 8-hour shift at overtime rates. When budgets get tight, stress increases and conflict escalates. It was a truly a gift to bring me greater understanding and an intensive course in practical conflict resolution skill building.
Alberta loves coaching and teaching! Her specialized training and life experiences have provided an amazing repertoire of choices, tools, strategies, formulas and stories. Her real life stories of successes and seeming failures add to the Tool Box she offers you for pre-paving and moving through the energies conflict provides. She can facilitate your understanding of just how natural conflict is and how it can be a creative force for change, empowerment and transcendence.
Alberta's great background as a human resource administrator, educator, executive coach, trainer, consultant, mediator and minister has given her many experiences working in both cooperative and adversarial circumstances representing and training diverse individuals and groups, including:
- One on One customized coaching and counseling for spiritual and personal growth, and conflict management,
- Consulting for small entrepreneurial business owners and employees,
- Service and program development of a community mediation center on the Board of Directors,
- Facilitating communication and policy development for board of directors members and staff for non-profit and public organizations,
- Providing ministerial counseling, coaching and consultant services for leadership of faith organizations with international participants,
- Administering all levels of grievance resolution for public institutions,
- Negotiating and mediating while advocating for both labor and management representatives,
- Ombudsman - advising employers and employees (as individuals and organized unions),
- Instructing public school students, administrators, teaching faculty and other school employees in 4 major school districts and state-wide educational organizations,
- Instructing university students preparing to teach and also returning educators and administrators seeking advanced degrees, and
- Supervising training programs and grievance procedures for employees and inmates in a state prison.